The Dearne Community Allotment was set up nearly 2 years ago on the George Street allotment site at Highgate, with the following aims;
- To involve local people in local food growing, harvesting, cooking, eating and enjoying fresh healthy food and taking physical exercise
- To provide volunteering, work experience and training opportunities in local food growing and horticultural related skills for adults and young people
- To improve the health and welfare of the local community & surrounding areas
- To create new community partnerships, working with local schools, faith groups and community associations and other community organisations
- To provide an annual programme of local food growing and health related events to engage all members of the community
- To promote community cohesion and pride by involving more people in volunteering in their community
The work that is carried out at the site is very impressive and a credit to all the workers and volunteers that work to make the allotment a sucess.
The group approached Big Local to ask for help to put up new fencing to the site which would make it a safer working environment whilst protecting the site and equipment. The Partnership agreed to allocating a grant of £3,000 which the group have used as match funding to get the fencing in place much quicker. Big Local really value the input this group have in our community and the size of the plot means that it is getting more difficult to rotavate and move equipment and materials around the site. With this in mind Big Local are looking at investing in a community tractor, rotavator and trailer, watch this space for more updates.